Saturday, May 23, 2015

Leadership

Leadership has been described as a process of social influence in which a person can enlist the aid and support of others in the accomplishment of a common task. Leader is somebody whom people follow, or as somebody who guides or directs others.


Leadership Mind Map



Limkokwing University Mind Map


Myself as a Leader

I believe leadership is having qualities that make others around you want to follow your lead. In business, that person will have a clear, vivid vision of where they want their business to go, as well as a broad knowledge of the district. They need to assist and work in partnership with others to arrange and organize methods for success and spend many hours learning about the needs of the organization. Technology is another area leaders need to be diligent in, working to stay abreast of current trends. Studying current technology and examining new innovations are important components for leaders to have background in to help aide them in making intelligent decisions. By being a lifelong learner and utilizing your personnel to their potential, each member contributes to success, thus buying into the vision of the business. An equally important quality a leader to should possess, besides being informed, is to be open-minded. By collaboratively working together with their staff, an effective leader can bring about needed change to create an environment equipped for increasing employee achievement. These attributes are critical in a good leader’s abilities to lead with purpose.



To begin on my path to leadership, I must look deep into my own personal being and decide what I value most and what I must do each day to feel whole. Reading, creating and learning something new every day are at the top of my list. I also want to have a positive impact on the people I meet on a daily basis, enjoy my family, and value relationships I have built. I want to be engaged in my environment and aware of my surroundings, to have balance and purpose each and every day, and above all, live my life to reach the potential God has intended for me. This is my personal vision statement by which I want to judge my life.



Looking at my strengths and weaknesses is another vital area to for me to focus on. I feel I am organized, approachable, and a creative problem solver. Areas I need work on include focusing my drive on the task at hand and being watchful to not take on too many responsibilities myself, but look to others to share the workload, especially those with expertise in the area. Enhancing my strengths and working on my weaknesses is an ongoing process I will reflect on daily and look to continual reevaluate over time.



Personally assessing one’s strengths and weaknesses is one way of learning about yourself. My traits of being introverted, intuitive, thinking, and judging create the orchestrate character according to people around me. My strength in planning and preparing along with creative problem solving will be traits I will draw upon in the workplace. I give my best effort in anything I do, and I expect the same from those around me. This can at times cause me internal turmoil when people and events do not live up to my expectations. I realize not everyone will share my passions, but I feel as a person in education I can make a difference in my staff by leading by example, finding them the proper resources, and giving my staff the tools to perform at their optimum levels. Together we can positively affect the employees we lead.



One of my greatest inspirations is Mr. Gabe Newell the Managing Director of Valve Corporation.

“About half the people at Valve have run their own companies, so they always have the option not just to take a job at another game company, but to go start their own company. The question you always have to answer is, 'how are we making these people more valuable than they would be elsewhere?’” (Gabe Newell)

Mr. Newell embodies the ideology “The leader leads, and the boss drives” (Theodore Roosevelt)

The idea that the leader should always be on the front lines, in the open. Helping the people around him grow and evolve not guarantee that everyone knows their place in the hierarchy rather helping them reach higher levels.

I have been a leader all of my life in some form or another. Being the only male of three children growing up on a ranch in a rough economy I was put in charge of things beyond my youth, from working part time jobs while balancing school work. Hard work was instilled in me at a young age. This has given me great resources from which to draw upon and a strong base for solving issues that arise in the everyday settings I come across on a daily basis.



Leadership can mean many things to different people, but moral purpose in leadership should be based on fairness, ethics, and integrity. I believe fairness can have multiple meanings to different people. I tell my friends as well as my colleague that I am fair, and i am not equal. To further explain this statement, I talk about how different situations call for different responses. I will make every effort to treat everyone fairly according to the situation and the available information. I also believe in keeping an open line of communication and working on getting to know the people I work with by learning about their interests outside of the workplace and attending their events. Above all, I take pride in being a positive role model. By practicing the values I believe in, I feel I lead by example.





Random Word Association:

The Problem: University learning is linear, one size fits all.

Random word: Learning.
  1. School.
  2. Lesson.
  3. Teach.
  4. Study.
  5. Know.
  6. University.
  7. Education.
  8. Certificate.
  9. Curriculum.
  10. Opportunities.
  11. Literacy.
  12. Institutes.
  13. Establishment.
  14. Enrollment.
  15. Degree. 


Juxtaposition:
A literary technique, the juxtaposition definition is to place two concepts, characters. Ideas, or places near or next to each other so that the reader will compare and contrast them.


  • When it rains, it pours.   

There is a contrast of magnitude. The literal meaning is that when it rains, one can expect a downpour the proverbial meaning is that when one thing goes right many things will go right, or conversely, when one thing goes wrong many things go wrong.
  • Better late than never.

While being late is a negative thing, the possibility of something never happening or someone never arriving is much worse.
  • Beggars can’t be choosers.

To beg and to choose are opposite functions, and the proverb implies that in fact one cannot be both desperate and have choice in the decision or result.Juxtaposition:
A literary technique, the juxtaposition definition is to place two concepts, characters. Ideas, or places near or next to each other so that the reader will compare and contrast them.



No comments:

Post a Comment